How to Give Back This Holiday Season
Story by Sylvia Urutia
Looking for a way to help those impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic? Adventist Community Services leaders encourage members to participate in their local church Christmas outreach programs. If your church doesn’t have a program, why not pioneer one? Here are some ideas:
- Adopt a community family by providing a holiday meal and gifts.
- Distribute holiday meal baskets for those in need.
- Gather warm coats, and donate them to your local community center for distribution.
- Create and share holiday programs with residents at local nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- Assemble and distribute personal care packages for people experiencing homelessness.
- Utilize church facilities for temporary homeless shelters during the winter months.
- Operate a free hot lunch program in the community.
- Make and distribute blankets and/or quilts to local hospitals, nursing homes or hospice residents.
- Donate through ADRA’s Gift Catalog.
- Fill shoeboxes with items for kids around the world through Compassion International’s Operation Christmas Child, like members (pictured) from Chesapeake Conference’s Iglesia Adventista Hispana Laurel (Md.).
Read these articles from the November/December 2020 Visitor:
- Feature: Rethinking Christmas
- Editorial: Why We Need Each Other
- A Pastor's Pastor to Retire
- (Read it in Spanish or French too!)
- Columbia Union Publishes Communication Handbook
- Carrera Virtual Visitor 5K/1 milla recauda $6,000 para Servicios Comunitarios Adventistas
- Embrace Life With a Thankful Heart
- Kelly Butler Coe Promoted
- How to Give Back This Holiday Season
- Victor is Around the Corner!