Andersson and Valentine join new General Vice President Team
Story by Wilona Karimabadi, Adventist Review
Tuesday morning’s general business session featured the election of seven vice presidents to the General Conference executive team, an addition of one position since the 2015 Session. They are returning leaders Guillermo E. Biaggi, Abner De los Santos, Thomas L. Lemon, Geoffrey Mbwana, and Artur Stele. Ella Simmons, the first female general vice president in the church’s history, is retiring.
Audrey Andersson of the Trans- European Division (TED) and Maurice R. Valentine II from the North American Division (NAD) are this Session’s newly elected vice presidents.
Audrey Andersson most recently served as executive secretary of the TED—the only woman who has ever held that position in any division throughout the General Conference. Born in Ireland, Andersson graduated from Newbold College with a degree in theology. Her career was initially spent in the secular world—she ran a daily news service operation from the High Court in London and had her own communication company. She moved to Sweden when she married her late husband, Lars. Andersson was then called to the Swedish Union to serve as executive secretary, and from there she transitioned to executive secretary of the TED. She will be the second female to serve as a general vice president and the first European woman. According to Lori Yingling, director of General Conference Human Resources, “Audrey Andersson has proven herself to be a valuable asset to the work of the church. Audrey promotes collaboration and teamwork with everyone with whom she works. She has never met a stranger, and her optimistic outlook is contagious. I am so happy for her election to the office of vice president; she will be a positive addition to the presidential team and to the world field.”
- Click here to watch a livestream of the General Conference meetings, scheduled to be livestreamed June 6-11.
- Among the expected 2,713 delegates, 21 will represent the Columbia Union Conference.
- Members from around the world are invited to attend a virtual exhibition hall.
- Just how does the session work? Find out more about the nominating committee process here.
- Visit Adventist Review, Adventist News Network and the Columbia Union Visitor Websites and social media accounts for the latest news from the event.
News Stories from #GCSession
- Ted N.C. Wilson Re-Elected as President of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists for Third Term
- Twenty-One Delegates to Represent Columbia Union at GC Session
- World Church President Delivers Ministry Highlights and Significant Achievements Over Past Seven Year
- What Happened Today- Monday at the General Conference Session
- I Will Go Ride Comes to St. Louis
- Mission a Strong Focus of Secretariat’s Report at GC Session
- Paul Douglas Elected as Treasurer of the Seventh-day Adventist Church