HaystackTV Attempts to Break World Record
HaystackTV missed breaking the Guinness World Record for a potluck by just 176 persons. They needed 1,276 to break the record held by a church in Arizona.
Story by Steven Norman, III/NAD
The haystack-themed potluck was the brainchild of Jeff Tatochek and Keith Bowman. They saw around 1,100 people bring chips, salsa, beans, tomatoes, olives and other haystack fixins’ to Sunset Station in San Antonio to help make the world’s largest Haystack Potluck.
Young and old enjoyed haystacks, a popular Adventist meal. Rosendo Vega of Mexico said, “Brother it is good!”
Some one-word descriptions from youth include: “Phenomenal” (Nehemiah, 16), “Heritage” (Konrad, 16), “Awesome” (Caleb, 15), “Delicious” (Jessica, 17), “More!” (Marvie, Bakersfield, CA), “Great!” (David, from Sweden), and “Cool!” (Pace, 16, Nashville, TN)
Sixteen-year-old Kelsey Negre from South Africa thought the haystack potluck was “the most ridiculously fun thing. It’s fantastic to be here and having this event.”
While munching on her haystack, Pastor Barbara McCoy, pastor of the Forest Lake Academy Church, said “It is awesome to show the church that there is an army of youth who are interested in serving in fun, powerful, and Christ-centered ways.”
HaystackTV seeks to identify the core values of the youth and show how the Adventist Church shares these same values.
Sponsors of this event are Adventist Christian Fellowship with chapters on 150 public college and university campuses and the NAD Young Adult Life that is I San Antonio sponsoring Impact San Antonio events during the General Conference Session.
More General Conference Stories
- Ted Wilson Reelected as General Conference President
- General Conference Session Events to Check Out
- Get More detailed Updates on Business Sessions
- How do we Chose Delegates?
- Read the General Conference President's Report
- San Antonio Eagerly Welcomes 65,000 Adventists
- Seven GC Officers Elected
- What You Need to Know About the General Conference Session
- Watch a Livestream of the Women's Ordination Debate
- Watch Some of the General Conference Session Live
- Watch the North American Division President's Report
- Who are the Columbia Union Delegates?
Feature Photo: The Porter Family from Guam participates in the attempt to break the haystack world record.