Keeping the Main Thing the Main Thing
Story by V. Michelle Bernard
"Keep the main thing the main thing—reaching souls for Christ," said Dave Weigley, Columbia Union Conference president, quoting Stephen Covey during the quarterly Columbia Union Conference Executive Committee meeting today.
The committee heard reports from ministries across the union, including a young Slavic church in Cleveland that has grown from six members to 21 in a year. Later, committee members split into breakout groups (pictured above) to discuss how to best fulfill the union's voted priorities.
Other reports from across the Columbia Union included:
- Columbia Union membership is at 148,391 in 859 churches and companies, as of December 31, 2022. This is a net increase of 1,075 members, as of September 30, 2022.
- There are 46 women in leadership positions across the Columbia Union, including Washington Adventist University (WAU).
- The union continues to be in a strong financial position with a union-wide tithe increase of 3 percent and working capital of 139 percent.
- The committee voted that the Columbia Union host an evangelism training event for pastors in 2024.
- Committee members voted to make Kelly Butler Coe editor of the Columbia Union Visitor magazine. Coe has served as Communication director since January 2022 and has worked on the Visitor staff since 2000.
- WAU President Weymouth Spence plans to visit and promote Christian education at all of the union's academies.
Stay tuned for more news from the executive committee meeting in the upcoming weeks