Editorial: You Are Our Strongest Evangelist
Editorial by José D. Espósito
• A church family growing from 15 to 54 members after meeting the needs of community members and hosting an evangelistic series.
• A young girl requesting prayer for her grandpa and helping lead her family back to Christ.
• A member sharing his love of pickleball with others, resulting in hundreds of people finding fellowship and a safe place to discuss spiritual matters, while getting exercise.
• A pastor using his love of restoring cars to connect with his neighbors.
• A teacher praying for her students, impacting their spiritual walk for years to come.
These are all small, but powerful examples of how Columbia Union Conference members used their spiritual gifts to help build the kingdom of God in 2023.
From 2024–2026, Columbia Union leadership has set their strategic motto to “Empower, Equip, Engage.” Through training events, a unionwide-equipping event for pastors, and monthly inspiration found in the 2024 Columbia Union Calendar, our team will support local conferences in their public evangelism efforts.
Our Goal Is For Members To Be:
1. Empowered by the Holy Spirit to be the Lord’s witnesses (Acts 1:8).
2. Equipped to be disciples, evangelists, pastors and teachers to also equip “the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ” (Eph. 4:12, NKJV).
3. Engaged in ministry—being steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that our labor is not in vain in the Lord (1 Corinthians 15:58).
What gifts has God given you to build His kingdom, revitalize your local church, strengthen your family and impact your community?
Do you have a knack for making newcomers feel welcome? Do you tell stories that engage and encourage young people? Do you see a need and fill it without being asked? What natural gifts do you possess?
We hope you will use these gifts, nurture them and seek further training to grow them by contacting the Evangelism Department at your local conference or the Columbia Union. Why? Because there might be someone you love or someone you haven’t yet met that needs Jesus in their life.
In 2024—and the next few years to come—may “empowering evangelism” be in you and work through you. In this process, you are not alone. Jesus promises, “I am with you always.” With His guidance, may He use you to meet your circle of influence and beyond. Together, let’s be empowered and empower others to do the same.
José D. Espósito serves as the assistant to the president for Evangelism.