January 6, 2021: The Phone Call
“Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear” (Isa. 65:24, NIV).
“I don’t know what to do, Lord! I want you both in my life!” I cried out to God.
I was teaching at the local church school when I met him. He was a single father. Most mornings he drove his daughter, niece and nephew to school. He did not, however, attend our church and came up with many excuses. Our relationship was getting serious, and I was at a crossroads. So I decided to have yet another heart-to-heart with the Lord.
“Lord, I have prayed to you so often for a Christian man to share my life with. I love You and him! However, if I cannot have you both, I choose you, Lord!” My resolve was firm. I had to break up with him.
So I made the dreaded phone call: “Hello, is Rodney there?”
The person on the other line responded, “You will never believe what Rodney is doing right now! He’s having a Bible study with Uncle Oscar!”
My mind began to whirl with questions! Who was Uncle Oscar, and how did he get Rodney to study the Bible? At that moment, God’s promise crossed my mind and filled my heart: “Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear.”
My eyes filled with tears of joy as I realized God had worked out my request even before I asked Him. As I remained faithful to Him, I was able to share the life I longed for with a Christian man. God is indeed faithful to those who call upon His name!
Thank You, Father, for answering my prayers before I even ask, and for honoring Your daughter’s faith in such a mighty way! Amen.
Amy Cromer is an elder at the West Wilmington church in Delaware.
- January 1: Put God First
- January 2: Light in the Darkness
- January 3: Live by Faith
- January 4: Prisoners of Praise
- January 5: Pushing Back Against Spiritual Distancing
- January 6: The Phone Call
- January 7: Just Ask
- January 8: Find Home
- January 9: Joy is a Promise
- January 10: Just the Boost I Needed
Join the Journey
To help you dig deeper into God’s Holy Word this year, we’re offering:
- Every Day—Read our Words of Life daily devotional book that features favorite Bible verses from members, pastors, students and leaders from across the Columbia Union. You can also read the devotionals on the Columbia Union app, and interact with the verses in our instagram stories.
- Every Week—Delivered straight to your email, read our e-newsletter by subscribing to Visitor News Bulletin at columbiaunionvisitor.com/vnb. Keep up with the latest Year of the Bible events, devotionals, videos and more.
- Every Month—This calendar, themed “Words of Life,” coincides with the devotional book and videos. It features a biblical topic and verse each month, with additional passages for further exploration, study and ideas on how to apply the concepts in your daily life.