WAU Releases Statement Regarding Their Nursing Program
Washington Adventist University (WAU) in Takoma Park, Md., released a statement last week with news about their
Edyth T. James nursing program. The Maryland Board of Nursing has approved WAU’s program, but placed it on warning status. The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) recently voted to deny continuing accreditation of their baccalaureate nursing program.
University officials say they will appeal ACEN’s decision and seek other accreditation. Read the full statement below:
WAU’S Baccalaureate Nursing Program
Maryland Board of Nursing and ACEN Accreditation Status
April 17, 2014
Washington Adventist University’s (WAU) baccalaureate nursing program has been approved but placed on warning status by the Maryland Board of Nursing because National Council (of State Boards of Nursing) Licensure Examination (NCLEX) scores for first-time test takers did not reach the expected benchmark in 2013. The Department of Nursing faculty has instituted various strategies designed to improve future NCLEX scores.
The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) has voted to deny continuing accreditation of WAU’s baccalaureate nursing program. The University will be appealing this decision. In addition, the University will be seeking accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), and that application is in progress. CCNE is officially recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a national accreditation agency contributing to the improvement of the public’s health to ensure the quality and integrity of baccalaureate, graduate, and residency programs in nursing. Schools including Loma Linda University and The Catholic University of America are accredited by CCNE.
It is important to understand the following:
- The nursing program is approved by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
- All current and new students can take the NCLEX examination in the state of Maryland (as the baccalaureate program continues to maintain its approval by the Maryland Board of Nursing).
- The baccalaureate nursing program is not closing.
- Students will continue to be admitted to the baccalaureate nursing program.
- The ACEN Board of Commissioners’ decision to deny continuing access impacts only the baccalaureate nursing program.
- WAU is filing a notice of appeal to ACEN.
- While WAU is in the appeal process, ACEN shall maintain the prior accreditation status of WAU’s baccalaureate program until the disposition of the appeal.
The University will provide periodic updates about the status of the nursing program as more information becomes available.
If there are questions about the status of the baccalaureate nursing program, please contact Dr. Mackey (firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-891-4546) or the Maryland Board of Nursing:
Dr. Patricia Kennedy
Maryland Board of Nursing
4140 Patterson Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21215-2254
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
334 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
Attention: Sharon Tanner
Telephone : 404-975-5000